Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sock yarn

My friend Sarah has asked me to teach her to knit. I was happy to lend her needles and let her have the run of my stash of acrylic, but she wanted to get things of her own, which I can totally understand. I remember first going into a yarn shop when I was a new knitter, and being all excited. I brought three skeins, one of which I played around with and finished, the other of which was such horrid scratchy acrylic that even I haven't been able to find a use for it, and the third of which is strange boucle stuff which I have no idea why I ever picked up - still as yet untouched and living at the bottom of my stash.

So we went to a yarn shop, the Sew Inn, which was fun. I wasn't supposed to buy anything as I already have a 50 litre box full of yarn and am a poor student with many more sensible things to spend money on, but this shop just sold so many things I wanted.

I spent a long time cooing over how soft the cashmere and alpaca stuff was, but eventually settled on some sock yarn, because it seems to be exceptionally difficult to find in this country, and I would really like to knit a proper pair of socks, rather the huge ones you get from knitting with DK.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It will be interesting to see how they work up as socks. I am never sure how variagated yarns will turn out, but I think it should be a fun project - although I am officially promising myself that I will knit my second happy coloured slipper sock (see this post) before embarking on these socks, however tempting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home